Register to be an Official
We are here to answer any questions you might have becoming an USAHockey Referee, point you to USAhockey requirements, and give you an understanding of what CIHRA provides their members.
Registration and Horizon Web Ref Questions
- The Annual registration period for the current season begins June 1, 2021, and ends after January 31, 2022. To be a CIHRA Official you must be 13 years of age or older. Complete the below three steps in chronological order. Each step must be completed before you can start the next.
- Register with USA Hockey
- (USA Hockey Registration FAQs)
- Become a member and register as an Ice Official
- Attend an officials seminar
- Complete online Education
- Complete your open book test
- Safe Sport Training (18 and Older)
- Receive your crest and referee card from USAH.
- Register with CIHRA
- When provided by USAHockey, New officials must email .jpg or.pdf of referee card to CIHRA Registrar Fred Faulkner (email@example.com)
- To get paid.
- Request a Horizon Web Ref Account
- Horizon Web Ref is the online application CIHRA uses to schedule games for its Officials while providing the official the ability to control their availability and preferences.
- Create a HorizonWebRef Account
- Set up “New User Registration” (A temporary password will be sent to your email account.
- You will be asked for an association # (205162)
- Set your availability to work games – keep this updated!
- Set up Arena preferences and Personal Profile
- Email/call schedulers telling them of your interest to work games – sell yourself
- Check out Schedulers in Your Area
- Annual dues are $45 and will be collected by November 1 from a payroll deduction.
- Anyone who has not paid CIHRA dues and/or who have not attended a seminar will have their Horizon account deactivated after December 1.
- If you have questions that prevent you from completing the requirements please contact Fred Faulkner (CIHRA Registrar) firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.